Chattanooga Symphony & Opera announces
February 20, 2013 – The Chattanooga Symphony & Opera today announced their 2013/14 season, led by Music Director Kayoko Dan. The season will include the Masterworks, Pops, Chamber and Volkswagen Series. The most notable change is that the Masterworks Series will be performed primarily on Thursday nights, with the exception of two concerts next season. Evening concert start times for both Masterworks and Pops Series will also change to 7:30pm. “We’ve heard from many subscribers and single ticket buyers that Saturday nights can be a challenge when there are so many other events and activities going on in our active city,” stated the CSO’s Executive Director, Molly Sasse. “Therefore, the Board of Directors has chosen to return to Thursday night for most of our Masterworks concerts. This has historically been known as Symphony night, and we value our loyal patrons’ time.” Pops Series concerts will still primarily occur on Saturday nights.
Music Director Kayoko Dan has programmed several beloved works in the 2013/14 Masterworks Season, which also includes several collaborations, talented guest artists and video enhancement on select programs. “We have a thrilling 2013/14 season planned,” stated Dan. “Some highlights of the Masterworks Series include Holst’s The Planets performed alongside beautiful images of space exploration; Copland’s Lincoln Portrait, to commemorate the Battle of Chickamauga; Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto with a dynamic violinist, Jennifer Frautschi; and Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring, to celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the composition. Peter Bay, one of my favorite conductors and a mentor, is going to be the guest conductor on Prokofiev’s Symphony No. 5 and Beethoven's Triple Concerto with String Theory artists.”
Additional Masterworks Series highlights include:
• A collaboration with Friends of Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park in a Civil War Commemoration concert, which coincides with a major Civil War conference
• Mozart’s Requiem and an All Brahms concert
• Shostakovich Cello Concerto
• Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7
• Copland’s Appalachian Spring and Fanfare for the Common Man
Music Director Kayoko Dan and Principal Pops Conductor Bob Bernhardt are planning several exciting concerts and collaborations in our 2013/14 Luken Holdings Pops Series, including:
• An all Rodgers & Hammerstein concert produced in partnership with the Chattanooga Theatre Center.
• Our annual Home for the Holidays concert conducted by Music Director Kayoko Dan, featuring beloved holiday tunes and new arrangements.
• Bob Bernhardt and the CSO Big Band in our Valentine celebration of Big Band Fever!
• The CSO accompanying the Oscar-winning movie The Artist, part of the second annual Southeast Film Music Symposium.
• Here to Stay: The Gershwin Concert Experience, with renowned vocalist Sylvia McNair and pianist Kevin Cole in a multi-media show produced by the Gershwin Family Trust.
The Chamber series will feature baroque pieces with Bach, a Mozart Symphony, Strauss and Tchaikovksy. This popular Sunday series will continue to be performed at the Sheraton Read House Silver Ballroom.
The Volkswagen Sunday Symphony Series returns for its second year with a variety of programming, including Pops and Classical’s Greatest Hits, a family concert, and an all-opera program.
Current subscribers can renew their subscriptions through April 19. New subscribers can pre-order their subscription and will be seated after the current subscribers have renewed. Subscriptions start at $75. More information can be found at www.chattanoogasymphony.org. Single tickets for the 2013/14 season will go on sale August 12.