Venues Archives: Memorial Auditorium
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium opened on February 22, 1924, created as a living memorial to Hamilton County war veterans. After an 18-month renovation in the 1990s, the Auditorium was rededicated on January 31, 1991 as a capacity crowd honored the men and women of the Armed Forces. Technical improvements included new dressing rooms, a hydraulic orchestra lift, state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems, and increased stage depth. However, the major change was that the Auditorium had been converted from an all-purpose exhibition hall with a flat floor and movable seating, to a sloped concert hall with permanent seating and greatly improved sightlines. These technical improvements, along with a complete cosmetic overhaul, have made Memorial Auditorium a first class performing arts facility second to none in style, comfort and acoustics.